Visas for Diplomats, Government Representatives, Embassy Personnel, NATO Personnel, Fulbright Scholars, and Native Americans

Diplomats, Government Representatives, Embassy Personnel, NATO Personnel

Diplomatic (A), International Organization (G) and NATO visas are issued to diplomats and other government officials for travel to the United States. Generally, the type of visa required by a diplomat or other government official depends upon their purpose of travel to the United States. There are very specific requirements that must be met by applicants to qualify for an A, G, or NATO visa, under U.S. immigration law.

Most diplomatic passport holders and people applying for official visas are exempt from the MRV fee. Applicants applying for these visa categories should NOT USE THIS SERVICE because the MRV fee is nonrefundable, even if paid in error.

For additional information on Diplomatic and Official visas visit

For additional information on NATO visas visit

For more information please consult with your government or agency's administrative office responsible for visa issues. Diplomats, government representatives, Embassy personnel, IO and NATO personnel must submit their applications through their Embassies or Agencies.

To receive specific information on how to initiate this process, please contact:

U.S. Embassy in Ottawa

Fulbright Scholars or Participants in Other U.S. Government-sponsored Programs

Fulbright Scholars or other U.S. Government sponsored Exchange Visitor (J) Visa applicants and their dependants are not required to pay the visa application processing fees if participants in a Department of State, a U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), or a U.S. Government funded educational and cultural exchange program that has a program serial number beginning with G-1, G-2, G-3, or G-7 printed on form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J) Status.

Helpful links:
Exchange Visitor Program (J) Visa
Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs Exchange Programs

It is the responsibility of each traveler to determine whether or not a visa fee is required.

If a traveler needs to apply for a visa that requires paying a visa fee, the traveler should use this service to make an appointment to apply for a visa. Select the option "I am a Non Canadian Citizen residing in Canada who has completed the U.S. Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-160) form and want to apply for a visa." from the NIV stop page.

If the traveler is eligible to travel without paying the MRV fee, the traveler should contact the Consular Section where s/he wishes to apply directly at:

U.S. Embassy in Ottawa

U.S. Consulate Calgary

U.S. Consulate Halifax

U.S. Consulate Montréal

U.S. Consulate Québec City

U.S. Consulate Toronto

U.S. Consulate Vancouver

Members of the First Nations and Native Americans Born in Canada

Native American Indians born in Canada are entitled to enter the United States for the purpose of employment, study, retirement, investing, and/or immigration without a visa.

In order to qualify, eligible applicants must provide evidence of their 51 percent American Indian background to the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at the point of entry to the United States. Generally, this evidence would include either an identification card from the Ministry of Indian and Northern Affairs or a written statement on tribal letterhead from an official of the tribe from which the applicant originates. The written statement must be substantiated by documentary evidence, such as tribal records and civil long form birth certificates that include the names of both parents. In addition, the letter should explicitly state the percentage of Indian blood that the applicant possesses.

For further information, please visit this Web site:

It is the responsibility of each traveler to determine whether or not a visa is required.