Courier services are included in the services that support the Visa application process. The courier services may include sending and receiving documents to and from the U.S. Consular Section.
An automated email is sent as soon as the courier assigns a tracking number to any shipment associated with the Visa application. Once a tracking number is assigned to a shipment, the status of the documents can be followed using this website, our interactive voice (IVR) solution, or the courier's web site.
After reading the information below, if you still have concerns or issues with the return of your documents, please follow the instructions for Document Delivery Issues on the Contact Us page of this website.
All relevant Visa documents will be returned using the selected service (i.e. pick up at point-of-service location or delivery address).
Note: Each application for a U.S. visa is unique. Information regarding how long the U.S. Consular Section adjudication process cannot be provided by this service. Once the U.S. Consular Section turns over the Visa documents to the courier, it takes up to 3 business days for the documents to be ready for pick up or delivery.
Important Note: Applicants residing outside of Barbados have the option of purchasing ‘Premium Delivery Service’ for an additional fee to have their documents delivered to the Island where they reside. Applicants not using the ‘Premium Delivery Service’ must make arrangements for self-pay delivery with a courier of their choice, or they may collect their documents from the DHL Office in Barbados at no additional cost.
The ‘Premium Delivery Service’ is for the return of documents from the Embassy after processing. Applicants who need their passports to travel back home must make their own arrangements for sending the application package to the U.S. Embassy via courier.
Applicants who are not using the ‘Premium Delivery Service’ must include a pre-paid self-addressed envelope in the application package for the return of their documents by the Consular Section.
Document Return Service using a Pick Up Location
Applicants are notified by email when visa documents are ready for pick-up at a courier return facility. Applicants must prove their identity using one of the following methods:
- Applicants 18 years or older must bring an official form of identification to the selected DHL Service Point location within 30 days. Applicants can also present the Air Waybill (AWB) Number in addition to their official identification.
Official Identification can be one of the following:
- Official or State issued Identification card (with photo)
- Official driver’s license (with photo)
- Birth Certificate - If the applicant cannot present any of the above mentioned forms of identification, he/she will be asked for an original birth certificate for the DHL personnel to make a copy and attach it to the Proof of Delivery file. The DHL agent will also review the information from the passport or laser visa to make sure that the document is being handed to the applicant in question.
- A copy of the child’s birth certificate or adoption decree, with at least one of the parent’s full legal name displayed on the document.
- The parent must prove their identity by presenting one of the documents listed in item #1 with a matching name on the child’s birth certificate or adoption decree.
- An applicant signed letter of authorization that contains the third party’s full legal name.
- The letter of authorization must be signed by a Justice of the Peace or a Notarized Power of Attorney.
- A photo copy of one of the applicant’s identification documents listed in item #1.
- The third party must also identify themselves with one of the documents listed in item #1. The name on the identification must match the name on the authorization letter.
Any passports not retrieved within 30 days will be returned to the originating Consular Section.
Home or Office Delivery Service
- The Courier will attempt to deliver your package up to 3 times to the requested address. If the courier is unable to make a successful delivery, the courier will return your package to the originating consular section.
- When delivering to a home address, the courier will only release the parcel to an adult who is willing to sign for the documents.
- When delivering to a business address, the courier will release the parcel to the personnel authorized to sign for packages.
There are several scenarios in the Visa application process that may allow an applicant to provide documentation in support of the application without the need to appear in person at the Consular Section. Instructions on how to print a Courier-In Authorization Certificate will be provided when one of these scenarios occurs during appointment scheduling through this website. The Courier-In Authorization Certificate allows an applicant to send documents using the courier, free of charge, to the U.S. Consular Section.
Important Courier Note – Applicants residing outside of Barbados who have been asked to send documents to the consular section, must make their own arrangements for the delivery of the application package to the U.S. Embassy via courier. The Premium Delivery Service does not include the sending of additional documents to the Embassy.